This hasn't been a great week. I don't really want to write much about it beyond saying that a dear friend passed away suddenly and unexpectedly. I'm perfectly capable of being philosophical in believing that she was lucky to go the way she did. She never had a sick day in her life, she didn't suffer, and her family didn't see her suffer -- she died in her sleep. She was there one day and gone the next, like the soap bubbles we humans are.
Selfishly, the loss of my friend makes me feel really alone. Oh, I've got The Emperor of the Garage and he's wonderful, and I have lots of friends, but I'm talking about the kind of mentor, the kind of professional colleague that you are absolutely certain is in your corner and is getting your back while you're facing the world. She lived over a thousand miles from here and I was going to see her in two weeks at a conference and I was really looking forward to it.
I feel positively robbed.
The whole world has been robbed of my friend. It's a colder place without her.
When I got down to a size twelve, we were going to go shopping and find me a Chanel suit. Maybe my own offbeat way to pay tribute to her should be to get down to that twelve and then go get that suit.
That's the problem with getting to know and love people. They're just soap bubbles.
Harumph. I wasn't going to write much.
No comments:
Post a Comment