Friday, April 14, 2017

Still Waiting

We are still in that funky waiting period that occurs when you're buying a house.  Most of the inspections are complete (it's in pretty good shape) and it looks like the bank is all set to go.  I'm not even sure of what the next step is, beyond my getting homeowner's insurance lined up.  Meanwhile, Sis found a house, too, and she gets the keys today.  We're both feeling a little big grown-up lately.

In the end, I didn't get a very bad version of the bug the Emperor was trying so hard to give me.  I got over it in a few days with a lot of sleep and some basic cold medicine.  The Emperor landed in the doctor's office twice and in the end it was determined that he had the flu.  They gave him some big-time medication and he's all over it now.

Meanwhile, the past two weeks have been as busy as I thought they would be.  The Emperor and I are going to take off this morning to head for Over There Big City for a professional conference, and when that's complete, I'll have the end-of-semester paper pile to carve through before I can pause and draw breath.

In the mornings, I've been trying to do just a little knitting on the Hana Lace Scarf, just one or two rows at a time.  However, most of my "crafting" has been scrolling through Pinterest while waiting for something else (while I'm on the telephone on hold, for example).  There are some very clever things being made with beads now and it's a lot of fun to try to make something you've seen just by looking at a photograph.

We had a whale of a storm the other night, and our town not only got hammered with tons of hail (the small kind, thank goodness) we had something like four inches of rain in about ninety minutes.  When I went to work yesterday morning, there were still piles of hail on the ground next to the buildings.


In case you were wondering, the pile hadn't significantly shrunk by the time I left for the afternoon, about six hours later.

There are some pictures on the internet of cars in water up to their windows, floating in a river of ice.  The Emperor and I consider ourselves damned lucky. We watched the deluge from the window, including the nerve-wracking moment when we watched the street fill with swiftly-moving water and ice, then become deep enough that it came up over the sidewalk and onto our lawn.

Oh!  Time to roll the Emperor out of bed and get ready to head east.  

No comments: